[vc_row][vc_column][vc_single_image image=”8734″ img_size=”full” style=”vc_box_shadow_border”][vc_column_text]
Assault, Battery & Violent Crime
[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]North Carolina recognizes several types of misdemeanor assault, which are often classified as a Class 2 misdemeanor. Three types of misdemeanor assault charges are:
- Assault and battery;
- Simple Assault; and
- Affray (a fight between two or more people in a public place, likely to frighten others).
If the offense involves specific weapons, injuries, or certain types of victims, North Carolina imposes more severe penalties.
The following offenses are generally class A1 misdemeanors:
- Assault inflicting serious injury;
- Assault with a deadly weapon;
- Assault by pointing a gun;
- Domestic violence, including assault on a female, assault on a child or assault in the presence of a minor;
- Sexual Battery (sexual contact or physical contact committed for sexual purposes by force and against the victim’s will); and
- Crimes against handicapped persons, public officials, or those that have racial motivation.
The following offenses are generally felony assaults:
- Assault inflicting serious bodily injury;
- Assault by strangulation;
- Assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill;
- Assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury;
- Assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury; and
- Felony child abuse
Depending on the circumstances, an assault conviction could result in an array of penalties from probation or time in jail. With assault cases, judges may have vast discretion in sentencing. An experienced attorney familiar with local courts is extremely beneficial to the defense of the accused. Our criminal defense lawyers are vastly experienced in criminal courts throughout North Carolina.
At Tharrington Smith, our criminal defense attorneys are experienced and accomplished litigators who provide efficient and effective legal representation for people accused of all types of criminal offenses, both minor and major. We help our clients to understand the charges they are facing, the ramifications of conviction, and the realistic probability of successful defense. Will will explain the best and worst case scenarios and provide you with realistic legal advice. We help our clients to make the best decisions for their unique situations, from the options that are available. When you need a criminal defense lawyer, we are the experienced attorneys you want by your side in court. Call us to schedule a consultation today.